February 7, 2012

White Loaves and TWD


I recently joined the online baking group Tuesdays with Dorie (TWD) and I'm so excited to be a part of this community!  They became famous for taking on the very Herculean task of making every single recipe in Dorie Greenspan's book "Baking: From My Home to Yours."   It took them four years, but they did it!  When I found out they were accepting bloggers for their next Dorie book, "Baking with Julia," I immediately signed up.    

The first recipe selected was White Loaves, an all-purpose sandwich bread.  As I mentioned in previous posts I've only just scratched the surface when it comes to making yeast breads.  This recipe has given me the confidence to continue.  It's super easy to make and the smells coming from your oven while the loaves are baking are completely hypnotic.


I took a few slices and made grilled cheese, one of my favorite sandwiches.  The bread is nice and sturdy and can hold up to the grilling.  My only caveat is that it may not keep well for too long, two days max.  You're best bet is to freeze any leftovers.  Mine are already earmarked for future croutons or bread crumbs.    


You can find the recipe on Jules' blog Someone's in the Kitchen.   {Sorry for the inconvenience but they ask that only the weekly hosts post the actual recipe.}

10 comments:

  1. Love your photos, looks like your loaves came out perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that! Such beautiful coloring on your loaves! I wish mine had browned a bit more, but they were so tasty that it really didn't matter. And there's something so satisfying about making another dish or a meal (i.e.-your grilled cheese) with bread that you made with your own two hands, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous. Thanks for adding photo to my flickr group.

    ~ Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great composition on your photos. The loaves look gorgeous. Looking forward to reading more of your posts with BWJ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful loaves with such perfect domes.
    Most of ours went to grilled cheese as well (and some toast with Nutella)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. That grilled cheese? I want. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful loaves and beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crusty perfection! Looking forward to baking with you! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bread turned out incredible! I've seen a few TWD posts for this bread, but yours has to be the most perfect... I have featured this post in today's Friday Food Fetish roundup. Let me know if you have any objections and thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's the perfect grilled cheese! I love this bread, it can hold up to almost anything.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...