April 25, 2010

Cheeky Monkey Cupcakes


These cupcakes are so darn cute, aren't they?   And the fact that they're super easy  to  recreate  makes them even more delightful.   Got the idea to make these when I was passing by the bakery counter of an upscale supermarket the other week.

I loved the idea of a cupcake resembling a monkey.   What I didn't like was the $5 price tag.  Why pay so much when you can make them yourself.  And they'll taste better too.

When I got home I set about doing some internet research and found so many adorable  versions.  The design I ended up using seemed like the most simple to make.

All you need are some cupcakes, chocolate and vanilla frosting and vanilla wafers.  You don't need to make these from scratch either..a boxed cake mix and canned frosting will work just fine, although I do find they are a lot sweeter than homemade recipes.

I think these would be so cute for a kid's birthday party or a baby shower.  Or for anyone who loves monkeys.   Try it!

Cheeky Monkey Cupcakes
  • Baked, unfrosted cupcakes (Any flavor will do.  I made Cook's Illustrated's Ultimate Chocolate Cupcakes with Ganache Filling from the May/June 2010 issue.  A great recipe!)
  • Chocolate frosting (I used chocolate swiss meringue buttercream but use any kind you like..even from the can.) 
  •  Vanilla frosting: You'll only need a little bit for the eyes and mouth
  • Food color: Black and Red
  • Vanilla Wafers: You'll need the Regular AND Mini size 

Spread about 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate frosting on the top of each cupcake using a small icing spatula or butter knife.  Try to make the surface of the frosting as even as possible.  (I used a piping bag and a large, round decorating tip.  I didn't have the patience to spread the frosting.)

Take a regular size vanilla wafer and with a sharp knife, cut a little piece off the top.  Place the wafer, with the cut side pointing up, at 6 o'clock on the frosted cupcake.  

Take a mini size vanilla wafer and cut in half.  These will be the monkey's ears.   Place each half with the cut side facing in, at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock on the cupcake.

Tint some of the vanilla frosting black and some red.  Pipe the eyes and nose in black frosting and the mouth with the red frosting.

10 comments:

  1. These are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cupcakes are so cute! I tried making monkey cupcakes for a baby shower once: http://bit.ly/9NVues
    Yours turned out much cuter! Awesome work, I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4/26/2010

    Aw, super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these are so adorable, Truc-san! I must copy your recipe and make this cupcake for Ethan's 6th birthday. He was born in the year of the monkey! But you make everything looks so easy...wished it was...

    I do have a question. When you make all these beautiful and delicious treats, who eats them all? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments everyone!

    Mimi: I usually give the treats to friends and co-workers. No way I could eat them all myself!!! I'd be HUGE!

    Whisk-Kid: Kaitlin, saw you on the Martha Stewart show the other week and thought your rainbow cake was way cool. Am planning on making it soon. Perfect for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This are the cutest ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After reading your blog I got some new information. Really I did not know so deeply this.Thanks for sharing with us.
    Buy logo

    ReplyDelete
  9. such an amazing article thanks for sharing it with us,
    want a logo for your brand?
    Logo Designers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10/05/2021

    Valuable post, thank you for the share.

    law dissertation help Uk

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...