November 6, 2009

Fried chicken so good it would make the Colonel weep...


This blog is primarily dedicated to all things baking, because that's my passion, but every now and then I must digress.  And this is one of those times.  I'm talking chicken....fried chicken....the ne plus ultra fried chicken....I'm talking Ad Hoc fried chicken.  I've eaten enough fried chicken in my lifetime (can we say KFC's 2-piece & a biscuit or Chicken N' Corn Tuesdays?) to know that Ad Hoc's rendition is the stuff of legends. Served every other Monday  at the restaurant in Yountville.  Quite possibly the best fried chicken in the universe, well, this planet at least.  I've only had it once thus far because driving an hour each way from SF is a bit of a trek for a weekday, but it was unforgettable and keeps me yearning for more.  Moist and juicy, seasoned perfectly and with the most delicious crunchy crust.  Absolute bliss! 
      
So why am I waxing poetic about this quintessential American comfort food?  Because I just bought Thomas Keller's latest cookbook, Ad Hoc at Home.  I'll be honest, I bought the book because I wanted to know the secret to this damn good chicken.  The recipe is there, plus a ton of other great looking ones that I can't wait to try.  So what's the secret to the chicken you might ask?  They soak the bird in a lemon and herb infused brine for 12 hours (yikes!) before dredging it in seasoned flour, buttermilk and more seasoned flour.  If you've tasted the end product you know it's all worth it.  I'm planning on attempting the recipe in the next few weeks.  If it doesn't turn out so great that's ok....I know I can always find it every other Monday at 6476 Washington St. off Hwy 29.


3 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try this... < drool >

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice and wise collection of words to describe the importance of topic. Very grateful for this clearly written information! Thanks.
    Logo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I GET A LOT OF INFORMATIVE THINGS FROM THIS LITTLE ONE ARTICLE I AM GLAD TO VISIT THIS...
    WAIT ARE YOU GUYS ARE FINDING ANY LOGO DESIGNER WHO CAN DESIGN A USEFUL LOGO FOR YOUR BUSINESS
    Logo Designers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...